Saturday, June 27, 2009

Courage


I took a writing workshop with Natalie Goldberg many years ago. She offered some helpful advise for the problem of writers block; simply begin a page with, “I remember…” or “I don’t remember…”

With painting, when I feel stumped, I noodle around with the simplest still life. Over time, my go-to object has been a glass of water. I have a series now, and try to paint one glass each week.

I just finished reading the very good biography of Flannery O’Connor by Brad Gooch. If you’ve never read any of her work, give yourself the gift of her short stories. She was disciplined, deeply religious, outspoken and funny. She succumbed to lupus at the age of 39, but through her stories and letters you sense an amazing spirit and great strength.

I lift this week’s glass to Flannery.

No comments: