Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Living large





I modeled until I married my third husband, who was a real jerk. I took a kid under each arm and walked out into the night with just $20 in my pocket. And that's when I became an exotic dancer.

Liz Renay





A Burlesque Hall of Fame tribute poster 


Just dessert with boyfriend/mobster Mickey Cohen 


Liz Renay with her paintings


Liz Renay (1926-2007) packed a lot of living into her eighty years. She authored five books, performed onstage and in films, was married seven times and was also a prolific artist. Not just any exotic dancer or stripper, in 1950 Life magazine devoted a 5-page spread to Renay during her starlet days, and she is featured in the Las Vegas Burlesque Hall of Fame.


Concerning her sentence of 27 months at Terminal Island Federal Prison in Los Angeles for a probation violation she remarked, "It sure knocked the hell out of my career when I went to Terminal Island."




No comments: